Tuesday

Objectives



If students know what they are to learn, 
you increase the chances that they will learn.  
Focusing on objectives makes the difference in student achievement. 
Objectives help me teach and guide with the end in mind.
In every K12 lesson the objectives are written so clearly and succinctly that as a learning coach, I can see and understand the assignment with my student.   
Before each lesson, I go through and read the objectives with Emma.  Sometimes she reads them to me.   
This is one of our procedures.  
This helps us both become focused on what will be accomplished in the lesson.  
Reading through the objectives is a simple way of setting an expectation.   
The expectation is "Please describe the main achievements for the Han Dynasty."

I love working from the foundation 
of what the objectives are for each lesson.
Objectives state what the student is to accomplish.  
When given a task, it always feels better 
if I know what is expected of me.  
I can be successful if I know that I am responsible for learning.

I use the daily plan in the OLS 
to see what is on the agenda for the day. 
I then go through each lesson and write down the objectives.  
I like to see them all on one page.   
I look through the teacher guide or student guide to see what additional assignments there are besides the final lesson assessment.  
I spend about 20 minutes on Sunday and 
fill out the objectives and assignments for the week.  
Having an Objectives worksheet with me throughout the day means that I can ask lots of questions as I breeze in and out of my child's study area.  
"Any questions on the pH scale?"
"I haven't seen the Voyages of Zheng He worksheet yet."
"As soon as I see your Reading Guide filled out, you're welcome to go to Volleyball practice."

This is one way to start working on 
independent learning with a young student.
It's also helpful with the student who is already independently doing their school work.  
I can easily stay on top of where they should be and then lovingly guide them back on track when they forget.  ;)  

Knowing what the objectives are gives me a starting point 
to guide them to what they should be learning.  

Download the Objectives Worksheet Here.

 

5 comments:

Linda said...

I love this!! My son is a K-er in the K12 program so I don't know if he's quite ready for this. What age would you suggest started to use these worksheets? Once they start reading independently or do you think it's useful to have handy even at the beginning?

Dave and Deslynn said...

Linda,
The worksheet is for ME. My daughter doesn't use it. Although, if an older child doesn't fight you on it, it might be a great idea for them.

But the Objectives worksheet is for me to stay on top of what's going on AND to focus on what needs to be learned.

With a Kindergartner, I probably wouldn't need this worksheet yet, as I will be the one doing the main instruction and I will be on the computer checking things. But I would totally read through the objectives with my child, with every lesson. It will also help you be successful in knowing what principles to hone in on when teaching.

The value is in knowing what to expect (reading through the objectives). Then students learn more.

Great question, thanks!

Linda said...

Sorry... I meant reading independently b/c then they'd be doing their work independently. I printed out a worksheet this morning to try it out for Wed and Thurs b/c I'm guilty of skipping the objectives. As I started filling these out I actually checked the materials list as well and got things ready so maybe I just need this to force me to be prepared. Thanks!!

Caren with a "C" said...

I think I'm going to try that. I feel like the more he works on his own the more I loose knowledge about what he is doing. This should really help.

Dave and Deslynn said...

Caren,
That's exactly how I felt. But I find that I can read through those objectives with her and as the day goes on, because the objectives are so clear, I know just the questions to ask. Or I know where we can look in the lesson to give her more help if she is struggling with a concept.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails