Friday

Not Doing His Best

What do I do about a normally well-behaved child who is not doing his best on assignments? I loved Dave’s response. He asked the parent to try not doing her best on some of her tasks, and show how it affects the family.

I have a fifth grader who does all of his assignments, but only does the bare minimum and resists when asked to do more. This week I've only done the bare minimum on laundry and left half of the meals unprepared. I'm just trying to model what doing the bare minimum looks like. I use the phrase, "I guess I haven't don't my best" to do the teaching.


I've also been using the statement,

"I’ll be happy to grade this composition when it has three paragraphs,"

instead of "You have to write three paragraphs."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails